Saturday, July 18, 2009

the entry about notwithstanding premises and bereavement

i'd like to think of myself as not a stupid person, or at least that's what i think. but i couldn't help feeling like a nincompoop after watching the dvd version of push, starring chris evans and dakota fanning. if push came to shove, i would have stayed away from that flick even if my life depended on it. unless you're planning to ingest a 111 minute mind-numbing picture permeated with perfunctory acting, plagiaristic plots, and cringe-worthy jargons (the characters are categorized under pushers, watchers, movers, bleeders, stitchers, etc), my advise would be you're better off just watching recaps of michael jackson's videos.

speaking of the late superstar, the news of his demise came as a huge shock to me. i was under the impression that this might have been one of the many internet hoaxes that we see these days, but alas, it was not meant to be. his premature death also drives home a poignant yet oft-shunned truism of life. for all the money he had in the world, the white-gloved entertainer proved to us that even the most sizzling, brightest star has a use-by date. we are reminded of our mortality and it exposes the frailty and vulnerability in all of us, that wherever we are born, however wealthy or healthy we might be, whatever kind of looks we are endowed with, our span on this planet is limited, is finite. we live, we age, and for better or for worse, we die. every thread of relationship we ever had, every wisp of memory we ever held, every facet of feelings we ever felt, it'd be all wiped out in the blink of an eye that never opens again. we fall into a chasm of darkness that we will never be able to climb out of, ever. in the most literal sense, it's the eternal slumber that no one, in his right frame of mind, would ever look forward to.

poetically speaking, death is a fact of life. the best we can make of life is to cherish it whilst it lasts. seize the day and live the moment, for life is short.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

But at least for MJ you can kind of see it coming... Just imagine when you start to hear of celebs of our generation like Sammi Cheng or Aaron Kwok dying.... Hmm I wonder how would that feel...

Anonymous said...

"Yesterday is History, Tomorrow a Mystery, Today is a Gift, Thats why it's called the Present"

yes, life is short, we must seize the day and live the moment.

~no name~

iruffcookiedough said...

(anon) a death is still a death. i could still associate with mj's death. guess i come from a different, older generation from you.

(no name)can't agree more, though i think i heard that from the wizened tortoise/turtle in kung fu panda before. i could be wrong.

Rex said...

yoyo des~ it's me again. =)

agree with you, life is short so we need to consume our time wisely. I think you are one of the good example. fight for life. haha... work hard + party hard. =)

Wubing said...

Totally understand what you mean. So I must work double hard to get my Jeep haha.

iruffcookiedough said...

(rex) hey rex, i think i am still trying to figure out that equation, to a certain degree of success. love life!

(wubing) or maybe triple, as long as you don't have to drag a tired ass back home. =)

Anonymous said...

dun act smart.

Anonymous said...

This is the 2nd time u mentioned that you heard my comments from kung fu panda before. ^o^

I remember the master did mention about the quote. However, I learned this quote about 10 years ago.

I did print this quote and pull it on my office desk. So, I can remind myself to appreciate the day I have, not yesterday, not tomorrow, but today.

It also remind me, today may be the last day I have in my life, so, I should tell the people I love how much I love them. When think about it, I will call my parents. ^o^

~no name~

Steve said...

Yo. I'm back in town. How's tricks? By the way, I wanna get in touch with Ray. Do you have his number?

Rex said...

nothing is perfect and you are doing fine i believe. lolx~ looking forward for e meal appt dude! =p

iruffcookiedough said...

(anon) am not acting smart but just giving my two cents worth that's all.

(no name) hopefully it will really fuel you to do it, cos you know what they say, action speaks louder than, in this case, quotes. =)

(Steve) hey Steve I am good and all. Ray asks you to email him for his number instead cos this is afterall a public arena. You can get him at suixy@hotmail.com

iruffcookiedough said...

(rex) let's hope for the best and let's meet up soon k?!

Cubbawa said...

Every time when I hear of someone close passing, I've been reminded how fragile life is... my grandma, bonny hicks, her grandma, I will not forget that year when my mom called to break the news, it was one passing after another, all in a span of 5 months. And I really missed them...

Anonymous said...

ah des,

are u a nostalgic person?
or only death then made u so sensible ??
u are a taurus goat ya.

km

Steve said...

sweet. cheers bro. You're a star.

Anonymous said...

you write pretty well.

Leo said...

I have to admit I was not too affected by MJ's passing away. But I do respect his music and the legacy he has left behind. In the end, I bought a compilation CD last weekend.

On "Push", it was damn terrible. And I had to endure the pain for the first 2 hrs of a 7-hr flight. I should have just slept. It was a 200 aircraft so could not rewind or forward... Well, lesson learned.