Friday, August 29, 2008

the entry about seeing eye to eye

well, i must have been reaching for the stars when i prayed for a better day tomorrow, because i woke up with not just one, but two bouts of malaise. the first was a sprain at the back of the neck. i gather this must have been from the built-up tension with the intensive gym visits i have of late, which was almost once a week. i tried a couple of neck-twists and thumb massages to the sore area, only to come out of it feeling worse. reminder: do not attempt to orchestrate chiropractic mastery on oneself without prior knowledge.

the other illness that welcomed me with open arms was this burning, stabbing sensation in my right eye, to which i immediately panicked. i feared that it was a case of deja vu. just earlier this year, i was at the eye doctor's for a tumor-like infection in the corner of my right eye. okay, so it wasn't the size of a tumor but more of an ulcer. still, it didn't feel good at all. every blink of the eye sent a white-hot, throbbing signal to my brain, which only suppressed the pain a little by secreting tears to lubricate the lacerated area.

according to doctor sim, my eye doctor, the reason for the ulcer-like growth was improper eye care. i had, upon my negligence, worn contact lenses throughout the day and night, and night and day. this went on for as long as three to four days at times, without removing my contacts. the accumulated protein in the cornea caused the growth of the ugly boil. and because my problem was more severe due to delayed consultation, the infection could not be treated with simple anti-bacterial eye-drops.

the treatment was to introduce a jab of antibiotics (yes, you heard it right, jab) into the eyeball. whilst this sounded terrifying enough, doctor sim reassured me it would not be as painful as he would administer a jab of anesthetics into the eyeball prior to that. right, that made me feel so much better. i was pretty sure i was about to bolt out of the room any second. it was only when he warned me that i might become blind from the infection had i come any later, that i calmed my nerves, rationalized, and decided to go through with the literally stinging procedure.

so you could imagine my fear when i was at the eye doctor's again today. more needles? i hope not. still waiting for my name to be called...

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

the treatment sound so scary.
do take care. =)


huiying

Rex said...

gosh.. It's sound terrible man. This is why I discourage my friends wear contact lens. It's doesn't bring many postive effect but more negative. =)
anyway, hope you cure earlier and recover asap! yea.. I went Le Noir and Hooters last night! It's fun e! hahaha
tonight part two - Zouk! XD
wooohooo~

Anonymous said...

poor thing Ou Xiang!!!

i think dailies suit ya...

don't wanna a blind ou xiang so please take care of yourself.

Anonymous said...

OMG, please, please, please, take really really good care of yourself, can??? So gonna nag at you, everyday from now till your recovered. Wah haha haha...

Z said...

gosh. the jab does sound scary!
get well soon!!

Anonymous said...

That really sound very serious and scary. Why did you wear your contact lenses day and night? Simply can't imagine that. I admit that I don't take care of my eyes very well too, by wearing one day old lenses again and sometimes sleep with them on. But wearing it for 3-4 days... Can't imagine that. I must call you god. Luckily my lenses will be quite dry after day 1 or 2 and they'd fall out I guess by day 3... Haha!

Please take great care of your eyes from now on. I bet you know the importance of your eyes. Just take care la. =)

iruffcookiedough said...

(anonymous) it was terrifying. you should try it to know it.

(rex) happy partying!!!!

(anonymous) daisies?? could i request for sunflowers instead? they are more perky and chirpy.

(dan) yes father dan, i will remember your advices (and nagging) from now on. >_<

(z) thanks z! i hope so too!

(763092) cos i am lazy? i never learn my lessons do i? hmm, seems like this is like a final wake up call. i should really take good care of it.

Rex said...

party hard back! haha~
it's wonderful nighttt~~~~ hahah~
molest"ed" by a very sexy hot lady XD
forgot to take down her phone number aisk... =_="

Anonymous said...

don't worry, will recover soon.

learn your lessons and don't torture your eyes again. :)

~no name~

Anonymous said...

hey des,

i meant DAILIES not DAISIES.

You know those kinda disposable contact lens that are for one day only?

you should just get a few boxes.

iruffcookiedough said...

(rex) envious!!! please don't indulge me anymore. jealous.

(no name) i have learnt my lesson well the first time, and i guess this is a reminder.

(anonymous) actually.... erm..... i am using two-week disposables, good enough, no.?

Rex said...

wuahaha~ wait your eye recover then dinner bah~ I just came back from KBox... really party hard! hahaha~ record a bad voice "one night in beijing" that i sang just now. blog it out later XD

Anonymous said...

try it?
i think i be screaming when i see the needle. lol.