Friday, August 22, 2008

the entry about battling the unknown

well, i am at this juncture of my life which could either throw me entirely off track or turn my life around one-eighty. it is, generically speaking, a make-it-or-break-it situation that i currently have to wrestle with. so here i am, three years into working as a financial planner/consultant (i might use them interchangeably, but they still mean the same: money guzzlers) and i am facing the inevitable situation which most of my cohorts are currently experiencing: business is dwindling and the moolah just isn't as appetizing compared to previous years.

since young, i've always had a strive-for-the-best, work-your-way-up attitude and that rang true still the day i started my first job as a flight attendant a couple years back. i wouldn't explicitly state the chronological time line as it might thus reveal my age, which i can't, for religious reasons. i had derived that living as a single male for the rest of my life meant that it would be all the more difficult and thus i would settle for nothing less but the best. how cliched this must sound but that was what was going on at the back of my head.

being a financial consultant has been a great deal for me. i have managed to mark my first stamp of success by winning the million dollar round table award last year (an accolade for top 6% financial planners throughout the industry in the world). i have made more money in a year than i had throughout the span of my career serving coffee or tea 30,000 ft up in the air. i have met the greatest folks, who were genuinely supportive clients but by the same token, i have also come across the biggest arses, who totally do not give a shite about anyone else but themselves.

i have, therefore, always imagined myself to stay on in this line (heck, i am slated to get promoted to a managerial position by this october). and i never wanted my clients to misconstrue my business dealings with them as fly-by-night, because that simply would not be the case. of late however, an array of misfortunes has prompted a paradigm shift in my thinking, and possibly my direction in life too. i do not want to use this as an opportunity to springboard my new potential business venture, so i wouldn't elaborate more on it.

so, riddle me this: do i carry on doing something that i know i am good at, although business wasn't like the heydays, or do i venture into unchartered territories, starting all over and trying to eke a mark for myself once again. i am seriously in a dilemma.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will you have any regrets if you leave the finance sector now? If not, then you know the answer. If you do, then obviously you have more you think you can achieve in this field so you should maximise your opportunities while the momentum is there. Deep down, I think you know the answer. Trust in your instincts, and whatever decision you make, don't do it for anyone else's opinion of you or purely just for the money unless you have a plan for that money to launch you into your next stage. Take care, buddy.

Anonymous said...

Hmm... I think you roughly know what you want. But well, base on what I see, I guess it's better for you to venture into the unknown and start all over again.

I think you suit a challenging life than one you already get used to. I always believe that you can change career route and/or take up challenging stuff while you're still young. As you mature, it's harder for you to change as less opportunities are open for you. True to you?

Well, you know what you want. Follow your instinct. =)

Anonymous said...

Hey dude,

stumbled upon your blog. really empathise with you. anyway, this may sound cliche but life is short. live it at the fullest with no regrets. do not let life itself become your handicap. opportunities dun come knocking twice, so grab hold of it when it comes. (of cos, i noe easier said than done. i would be in the same dilemma too!gd luck!)

iruffcookiedough said...

(s) i believe i do have the answer, but i am always considering the possibilities from all aspects, and thus am afraid to leap, when i should have. from the very start, this cautious footing of mine might have been the very bane in whatever i wanted to proceed with. but then again, rash decisions oft landed me in hot soup as well. i am now just quite unclear whether i should let instincts guide my decisions or to do a thorough thought process.

iruffcookiedough said...

(763092) i guess, to a certain extent, you read me like a book. i prefer an effervescently new environment to one that is mundane and constant. somehow in life, we have to make decisions based on gut feel rather than calculated risks, and this is just something i have to consider at this point, which is it?

(kaypoh) i remember one of my friends who told me in my very first entry, that when life throws a curveball in our face, we have to grab it by the horns and ride it out into the sunset. theoretically, it all sounds all beautiful and meaningful, but to truly grasp the meaning of it and employ it is quite another. nevertheless, you've given me fodder for thought. appreciated.

Anonymous said...

I think you still have to calculate your risks and all to know what you can do if you happen to fail after you follow your gut feel (unless your gut feel told you to stick to what you're doing now but that's unlikely. 'Cos if so, there won't be a thought of doing other thing else and a change in what you're doing now). Did I manage to confuse you? =P

Anonymous said...

Well am sure you know what & how you want your life to be, live life with no regrets, the old saying goes: "never try never know", its always good that one is giving things that will sort of impact one's life a good think thru of all the possibility that may happened, weight it & you should know what to do. You always give me an impression that you enjoy challenges; never say die attitude & all this ain’t charade for me to say. Ga Ba Dae !!!! Here again giving you a BIG CYBER HUGGIES :P

Rex said...

wao.. look a bit cheem but luckily I can understand most of it.

Well, do or do not there is not TRY.. If you think you can be a risk taker, well prepared, no harm to try it. You'll never know how the outcome will be, just believe yourself and your instinct to achieve what ur expectation!! It may become a very good experience if you do and achieve what you hope for! yeah!

But before everything start, chill yourself first! haha~ let's go to travel!

Anonymous said...

i noe u noe wat u wan :)

take care

iruffcookiedough said...

(763092) you've managed to shed another light of view. no confusions here.

(dan) cyber hugs back!

(rex) yeah, i should certainly consider kicking back and relax, considering i have not had enough of holidays. this year alone, i only went overseas for holidays like five times??

(bryan) i don't know if you truly know what i want.

Anonymous said...

hmmm.... i think i did left a comment earlier, did i?

Anonymous said...

gamble, take risk when you are still young.

Rex said...

better than me man... I never ever go travel in the past 22 years... gosh.. there still have ppl like me!haha~ u r lucky man!

iruffcookiedough said...

(kelson) no leh, i didn't see it at all. or you left it at another blog??

Anonymous said...

Admire yourself to be in this line~ It's a profession which I always think requires alot of perseverance and patience.

Yes, the fruits are tasty and alluring, but not for the likes of me..

I always get stuck in this dilemma as well, after 1 year in my first career, I shifted to another aspect within the same field, where I am still questioning if it is my strength or being what I liked.

Well, at this point in time, I believe you are experienced enough to know your forte and preference...

If you are going to risk it, then do it now since you are young. Of course, be sure you are prepared for the unknown.

I always remember this verse - The Universe will give whatever we desire, but you'd have to be very specific. Yesterday, I watched this show - P.S I Love You.. and it's very interesting.. when people follows what they enjoy at doing, they always excel and shine at it.

And I hope that the Universe give you what you desire as well. Cheers~